Protecting Yourself From Fraud
Unfortunately, because of the actions of a few, the funeral service profession has received attention for wrongdoing and charges of fraud. As a consumer, you need to be aware of the criminal and unethical practices some providers may use and that you may face when planning a funeral. It will help to ask yourself the following questions:
- How reputable is the business I am considering?
- Does this business operate with strong consumer standards?
- What are my rights as a consumer?
- How do I know if I am being offered a fair price?
- How can I ensure the best care for my loved one?
- How do government regulations protect me?
Selected's Code of Good Practice
Since 1965, the members of Selected Independent Funeral Homes have followed a Code of Good Practice that insists on honesty and integrity at a time when consumers need them the most. This code of conduct even preceded the federal government's consumer protection standards.