The public's perception of funerals has changed. More and more people and families are questioning the value of funerals and often think that "parties" are appropriate substitutes for meaningful ceremonies. Many confuse efficiency with effectiveness and try to move away from any feelings of grief by saying, "It will be easier if..." Often, not understanding the role of various elements of ceremony, leads them to eliminate them. Not understanding the overall WHY of the funeral, or the value of the elements, runs the risk of families and communities missing the "sweet spot" of a meaningful experience.
Because funeral professionals at all levels often need training and examples on how to share the meaning and value of funerals with families and communities, the Order of the Golden Rule (OGR) and Selected Independent Funeral Homes (Selected) have joined forces to co-host this motivational and information-rich seminar. This will be a unique and impactful program for members of both associations to connect with each other and gain the skills to easily articulate the worth and necessity of funeral service.
Registration now open.
If you are an OGR member or a non-member:
- Download Registration Form
October 25-26, 2019
Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
- Schedule at a Glance
- Continuing Education: The Academy of Professional Funeral Service Practice has approved this meeting for .85 units (8.5 contact hours) in Category A (Approval #19-8417). In addition, applications have been submitted for up to 8.5 hours to all states requiring continuing education.
Thank you to the following Selected Preferred Partners for their generous sponsorship of this seminar:
The seminar will be held at the Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel in downtown Chicago. Participants are welcome to stay at any hotel of your choosing. You may book hotel reservations using the National Funeral Directors Association's Housing Bureau or via any method you choose.
Participate and Discover How to:
- Articulate and advocate WHY funerals are essential
- Interface six essential functions of the funeral with the elements of ceremony
- Convey value every step of the way in the funeral planning process
- Safeguard the very future of funerals by helping families make transformations—"decisions that are good for them"
Learn More About Dr. Alan Wolfelt:
Dr. Wolfelt is a respected author and educator on the topic of creating meaningful funeral experiences. He has created a practical model that interfaces six essential functions of funerals with the elements of ceremony. Recipient of the Association of Death Education and Counseling's Death Educator Award, Dr. Wolfelt is Director of the Center for Loss and Life Transition and is on the faculty of the University of Colorado Medical School's Department of Family Medicine. He is the author of many bestselling books, including A Tale of Two Funerals: The Throw Rug and the Tapestry, Funeral Home Customer Service A to Z and Creating Meaningful Funeral Experiences. He also writes a regular column on customer service for The Director magazine.